5 Reasons why Pedal the Cause is Different than other Rides & Fundraisers.
There are a lot of big rides and event fundraisers throughout the year. Here’s what makes Pedal the Cause different.
- 100% of the proceeds STAY in San Diego
- It benefits all three of San Diego’s National Cancer Institute-designated cancer centers. It’s the first time I know of that NCI cancer centers anywhere have come together for a large scale fundraiser.
- More than a ride, it’s a collaborative movement toward finding a cure that is powered by the San Diego community. You’ll ride with top doctors and researchers, corporate leaders, professional athletes and fellow cancer advocates.
- Courses are designed by the professional race directors and endurance athletes of Multisports.com. They will bring the same level of excellence and safety to our event that they have brought to countless Ironman triathlons and cycling events.
- Training programs and training rides from top professional Ironman coaches and the two most successful Ironman athletes of all time (Roch Frey, Paul Huddle, Paula Newby-Fraser and Heather Fuhr). They understand how to prepare riders of all levels for events like this. So if you can ride a bike, you can participate.
Only in San Diego
As home to three NCI-designated cancer centers — UC San Diego Moores Cancer Center, Sanford-Burnham Medical Research Institute and Salk Institute – San Diego has long been a powerhouse for cancer research. The three singular NCI-cancer centers have now formed a novel collaboration – the San Diego National Cancer Institute Cancer Centers Council, or C3 – to leverage their distinct and combined resources and talents. This new partnership will allow San Diego’s cancer researchers to accelerate the understanding of and innovative treatments for cancer, the leading cause of death in San Diego. For patients that can’t wait, that means faster access to life-saving clinical trials and treatments, and ultimately a cure.
Because of it’s weather and compelling landscape, San Diego is also one of the finest places for cyclists of all levels — novices, weekend warriors and elite athletes.
So it seems like a natural to create a cycling fundraiser in San Diego for cancer research. Enter Pedal the Cause, a weekend cycling fundraiser to bring together the C3, corporate sponsors and the community to raise funds for cancer research at these prestigious NCI-designated cancer centers. 100% of proceeds STAY in San Diego.
Duane Roth, CEO of CONNECT, a San Diego-based global leader in catalyzing the creation of innovative technology and life sciences products, said that collaborations like this can only happen in San Diego.
The C3 and Pedal the Cause represent a collaborative movement toward finding a cure that is powered by the San Diego community. Witness the support we’ve seen in the first few weeks:
- 3 NCI-designated cancer centers as beneficiaries, with the enthusiastic support of the leaders and top doctors.
- Three of San Diego’s largest companies pledging their support – Life Technologies, CareFusion and Qualcomm Life – along with one of the largest station groups KFMB-TV/CBS 8, Jack FM 100.7 and 760 KFMB AM
- Over 25 top doctors and researchers registered to ride
- Four Ironman World Champions registered to ride – Paula Newby-Fraser, Heather Fuhr, Scott Tinley and John Howard
Next week, Roch Frey and Paul Huddle will begin to talk about cycling and training. When to start. How to start. How to make it part of your overall wellness plan rather than an overwhelming task.