Meet Our Beneficiaries
UC San Diego Health Moores Cancer Center
UC San Diego Health Moores Cancer Center is one of Padres Pedal the Cause’s four beneficiaries and is at the forefront of the fight against cancer. Moores Cancer Center is San Diego’s only National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center, which unites research labs, clinical trials, outreach programs, and patient care under one roof.
Since inception, Padres Pedal the Cause has funded an impressive 39 collaborative research projects with UC San Diego Health scientists.
- Moores Cancer Center was established in 1978 and combines research and care to transform cancer prevention
- 16 members of the National Academy of Sciences are faculty at Moores Cancer Center
- Leading the way with precision-targeted and immunotherapies, doctors customize each cancer treatment for personalized patient therapy
- Cancer prevention research conducted here led to public policy changes influencing tobacco advertisements
- UC San Diego’s Nobel Prize winning chemist Roger Tsien, Ph.D. partnered with Moores Cancer Center to test molecular imaging agents to aid in cancer surgeries
Rady Children’s Hospital
Rady Children’s Hospital is a pediatric-care facility dedicated to excellence in care and research. While the hospital treats children for various illnesses, the money raised from Padres Pedal the Cause helps fund life-saving pediatric cancer research.
Padres Pedal is pleased to have funded 12 collaborative pediatric cancer studies with Rady Children’s. We look forward to furthering our support of even more cutting-edge research to help create a world without pediatric cancer.
- A major pediatric clinical research center, Rady Children’s is currently running over 600 clinical trials and research studies
- Nationally recognized as a leader in the field, Rady Children’s is ranked in all 10 pediatric specialties
- The largest children’s hospital in California and the only hospital in the San Diego area exclusively dedicated to pediatric healthcare
- Rady Children’s Hospital partnered with Padres Pedal the Cause to launch the SuperKids program, where Padres Pedal teams can ride in support of a young pediatric oncology patient
- Through funding from Padres Pedal the Cause, Rady Children’s Hospital partnered with UCSD to research non-coding oncogenic mutations in pediatric acute lymphoblastic leukemia
The Salk Institute
One of the four beneficiaries of funds raised by Padres Pedal the Cause, the Salk Institute is a leading research organization for cancer and other diseases.
To date, Padres Pedal has funded 14 transformative research projects at the Salk Institute, and will continue to partner with the Salk Institute on high-impact cancer biology innovation.
- The Salk Institute was created in 1957 by Jonas Salk, who developed the first safe and effective polio vaccine, as a collaborative research environment where the implications of scientific discovery for humankind could be explored
- The Salk Institute is one of the top five research centers in the world, according to SCImago Institutions Rankings (SIR) World Report
- The Salk Institute is a National Cancer Institute-designated cancer center
- Six members of the Salk Institute Faculty have won the Nobel Prize
- Currently, one-in-four Salk scientists is a member of the National Academy of Sciences,
- Through funding from Padres Pedal the Cause, the Salk Institute partnered with Moores Cancer Center at UC San Diego Health to research effective approaches to reduce obesity-related cancer risks
Sanford Burnham Prebys
One of four beneficiaries of Padres Pedal the Cause, the Sanford Burnham Medical Discovery Institute (SBP) is committed to independent, revolutionary research to help cure cancer.
15 collaborative research projects at SBP have been funded through grants from Padres Pedal the Cause as we work together towards a world without cancer.
- One of four Comprehensive Centers for the NCI Chemical Biology Consortium
- The Conrad Prebys Center for Chemical Genomics is a leader in turning discoveries into new therapeutics
- A global leader in immuno-oncology research
- Cancer Center scientists are currently focused on three programs:
- Cancer Metabolism and Signaling Networks
- Tumor Microenvironment and Cancer Immunology Program
- Tumor Initiation and Maintenance Program
- Houses some of the most comprehensive nonprofit drug discovery technologies available
- Through funding from Padres Pedal the Cause, the Sanford Burnham Prebys Cancer Center partnered with UCSD to research colon cancers using Boolean principles.